Monday, June 24, 2013

Falling Off The Wagon.

We all do it from time to time.  Take a short detour from our chosen path and fall off the wagon of whatever commitment we have made to ourselves.  In fact it happens with fitness and nutrition quite often.  This weekend I ate wheat products on multiple occasions.  I could tell you it was a special weekend with special circumstances, but breaking a commitment is breaking a commitment, no matter what reasons you use to justify your actions.  So I fell off the wheat-free wagon this weekend.

But here is the thing that matters most, on Sunday morning I got back on it.  I didn't feel bad about myself, I didn't make a judgement about my willpower or my lack of discipline, I just got back on the path and moved forward.  There will always be speed bumps or road blocks on your journey to a better you, sometimes you just have to A.I.O.  What's A.I.O. you ask?  My Air Force brothers and sisters will remember this one: Adapt, Improvise, and Overcome.  Just remember you have a goal you are trying to reach, and one false step won't derail all the hard work you put in thus far.  Refocus, cast off any doubt, and continue on to your destination.

"Failure is not falling down, but refusing to get up."
-Chinese Proverb
 
Ironman legend Julie Moss
 
 
So who else stumbled this weekend with their diet or workout plans?  It's Monday, how many of you got back on the wagon already?  Share your story with us; how did you go off track and what tip or trick did you use to get back on that healthy track?
 
I just reminded myself why I'm wheat-free and why I need to continue to be wheat-free (which for me is I want to really live a full life into my later years, and I want to help my clients do the same.)
 
 
Talk to me people!  Let's start a discuss about this.  If you have a story share it, because someone else might be in the same situation as you were, and could use your advice and your experience.
 
 
Thanks for reading this and commenting and the next post will be up next Monday, so have a great week and don't forget to give yourself a break and pick yourself up and get back to it.
 
Healthy Protein Cookies
 
1/2 avocado
1 banana (large)
1/4 cup flax meal
1 Tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
1/2 cup whey protein (any favor you want)
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup steel cut oats
1/4-1/2 cup regular oats (depending on consistency)
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 egg
 
Mix all above together with either a hand mixer or bowl mixer.
Mix in or stir in-
1/3 cup walnuts
1/3 to 1/2 cup chocolate chips
 
Place each 2 inch by 2 inch cookie on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes.
Cookies will be firm and golden brown color.
*If consistency is too runny then add an extra 1/4 cup of either flax, oats, walnuts, or protein powder*
 
This for a single batch.  You will need to play around with the ingredients to suit your tastes, so let me know if you modify the recipe and come up with something better.
 
Enjoy!




1 comment: